A 7km/4½ miles walk in the landscape that inspired the Brontës
Starting in the village of Trawden, the walk passes 17th century farmhouses and the beauty spot of Lumb Spout before taking the old moorland pack horse trail to the village of Wycoller with its Brontë associations.
- Start in the centre of Trawden in the heart of Trawden Forest at the Rock pub and walk up the old tram tracks. Just before the tram tracks meet the main road, turn left over the stile and continue downhill to the bridge over Trawden Brook. Go over the bridge and stile and carry on straight up the hill towards Far Wanless Farm. Follow the path between the farmhouse and barn onto the track.
- Where the track turns right downhill, go straight over a stile and across the field to the small gate. Continue across the next field to the stile to the left of the farmhouse. Turn right down the track and left onto the lane. Where it turns sharply left, carry straight on up the track.
- Pass to the left of Lodge Moss farmhouse and go through a gate. Follow the wall on your right to the next gate. Cross the field and bear left to the footbridge. Once over the bridge, a short diversion following the stream to the right leads to the waterfall at Lumb Spout. Retrace your steps to the bridge.
- From the bridge, bear slightly left uphill and head for the ladder stile in the far corner of the field. Cross the stile and follow the wall on your right to another stile at the end of the field. Turn left to join the Pendle Way along the foot of Boulsworth Hill. Where the tarmac road turns left continue straight ahead onto the moorland track.
- Continue for just over a mile along the track which now forms part of the Pennine Bridleway. Just before the bridleway turns right to cross the stream, go straight ahead to cross a stile. Follow the path down hill keeping the stream to your right. Cross another stile and continue on the well defined path with the timber fence to your right. Go through a kissing gate and cross the bridge over the stream. Turn immediately left and follow the footpath to the lane. Turn left onto the lane and continue past the clapper bridge and into Wycoller Country Park.
- Cross the stream at the stone bridge opposite Wycoller Hall and turn left up the lane. After 200 metres bear right up a flight of steps, through a wood to a stile. Continue in the same direction, pass to the right of Germany Farm and continue until you reach Little Laith.
- Turn right and keep the stream to your right for two fields, cross the stream and continue with the stream on your left for the next field. Turn left onto the track into the farmyard of Near Wanless. Turn right over the stile and cross the next field.
- Go over a stile and stone bridge then turn left crossing the next field at an angle until you reach Trawden Brook. At the stream turn right and follow the footpath to the road. Turn left to the Rock pub where the walk ends.
To climb Boulsworth Hill
You can extend the walk by climbing Boulsworth Hill to enjoy breathtaking views and see some natural gritstone sculptures.
Follow the way-marked concessionary route marked on the map in blue and return to join the main route.
Distance 3km/2 miles